This dairy free ice cream recipe with coconut milk is made with just two ingredients! It’s made with full fat canned coconut cream or milk and sweetened condensed coconut milk. And you don’t need an ice cream maker!
It’s the easiest no churn dairy free ice cream you will ever make. It turns out so rich and fluffy and can be customized to give it any flavour you want. My favourite is Oreo!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients Needed To Make Vegan Ice Cream
The base ice cream recipe is super simple. It takes only two ingredients to make this no churn dairy free ice cream. There are so many ways to customize this and make it whatever flavour you want!
- Coconut Cream: The size of can I use is a 13.66 oz can of full fat coconut cream. Thai Kitchen is my favourite brand.
- Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk: One 11.25 oz can of sweetened condensed coconut milk.
If you can’t find sweetened condensed coconut milk you can easily make your own.
You will need a can of coconut milk and some sugar. Here’s a simple recipe to help you do that.
Can I make this without coconut cream?
You can substitute the cans of coconut cream for full fat coconut milk. The coconut cream just contains more of the thick creamy portion than coconut milk.
While I haven’t tried it, you could substitute the coconut cream for dairy free heavy whipping cream. Use two cups of that in place of the coconut cream and it should work perfectly. If you try this, please let me know how it works out!
Can I Make Dairy Free Ice Cream Without Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk?
Yes, you can if you make your own or find a dairy free sweetened condensed milk. It is one of the main ingredients, so the only substitute that will work properly is another type of sweetened condensed milk. The only other dairy free kind I’ve seen is oat. And if you find that I’m sure it will work great! Or use this recipe to create your own.
How To Make Dairy Free Ice Cream
Step 1: Prep Coconut Cream
Place both cans of coconut cream in the fridge and let them sit overnight. They need to be chilled so that the thick cream portion will whip up.
When you’re ready to make the ice cream, open the cans and drain out the liquid portion.
I like to do this by using and butter knife and creating a small hole all the way through the coconut cream.
I then pour out the liquid into a jar. You can keep it and use it in smoothies or baking.
Place the thick coconut cream into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.
Step 2: Whip The Coconut Cream
Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
Add in the 1/2 of the sweetened condensed coconut milk and whip to combine. Add in the rest and whip until it is all combined.
Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla if desired.
Step 3: Transfer To Container & Freeze
The best part is freezing it so you can eat it later! Scrape it into a plastic container and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
Step 4: Add Ins (Add Before Freezing)
- Oreo – Did you know they’re dairy free? Well they are! Crush 6-8 Oreos and mix them into the coconut ice cream and then freeze.
- S’mores – 1/4 cup mini marshmallows chopped, 4 graham wafers crushed, 1/8 cup chocolate chopped.
- Strawberries – Chop and smash 1/2-3/4 cup of strawberries and mix in a TBSP of sugar.
- Blueberries – Partially mash 1/2 cup of blueberries and gently fold into the cream.
After mixing in your chosen flavour, transfer to a plastic container and freeze. It will last about a month in the freezer.
Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe With Coconut Milk
- Stand Mixer or Handheld Mixer
- 2 13.66 oz Cans unsweetened coconut cream chilled overnight in the fridge
- 1 11.6 oz can sweetened condensed coconut milk or 11.25 oz can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla optional
- Place both cans of coconut cream in the fridge overnight. They need to be completely chilled so that the cream portion is solid. Using a butter knife, I cut a small notch down one side and drain out the liquid.
- Open the cans of coconut cream and remove the thick portion. Place it in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl and whip until stiff and fluffy.
- Pout in half of the sweetened condensed coconut milk and whip. Add the rest and continue whipping until it’s all combined.
- Pour into a plastic airtight container and freeze overnight or at least 8 hours. If you want to add in Oreos, strawberries or something else make sure to mix it in before freezing.
If you tried this recipe and you liked it, please leave a review! I would appreciate it so much. Thank-you for trying my recipe.