My recipe combines the flavour of a pumpkin muffin with chocolate chips by using sweet potato. And let me tell you, sweet potato chocolate chip muffins are a great combo!
I use mashed sweet potato or a purée. So I always make sure to cook/bake them prior to mixing up the muffins. It takes about 2 medium sized, or 1 large sweet potato to make this recipe.
How To Prepare Your Sweet Potato
There are a few ways to do this. I like to wash and bake mine in the oven for about 45 minutes at 400 F. Once they are soft I remove them from the oven, then peel and mash them.
For full instructions on how to make a sweet potato purée check out this The Simple Homeplace.
Another way is to peel, chop and cook them on the stovetop. Simply place them in a pot with some water and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down to medium low, and cook until they are soft enough to mash with a fork.
How To Make Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Muffins
Muffin batter works best when the dry and liquid ingredients are mixed together separately, and then gently mixed together to form a thick, textured looking batter.
Cook and prepare the sweet potato (instructions on how to cook listed above).
Step 1: In separate bowls, mix the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients.
Step 2: Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, add in the chocolate chips. Gently mix to combine. Do not mix until the batter looks smooth, you still want some lumps and even a few small flour spots.
Step 3: Spoon the batter into the paper lined muffin tin. I like to use a 1/2 cup measuring cup or a large ice cream scoop for this.
Step 4: Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the Center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a cake rack.
How To Store Sweet Potato Muffins
I like to sore them in a reusable container on the counter for up to 3 days. If you want them to last longer store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or you can freeze them for up to 2 months. Then when you are ready to eat them, simply thaw by microwaving for 15-30 seconds.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Potato Masher
- Mixing Bowls
- Muffin tin
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato* instructions to cook in notes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oat milk or any type of milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix together the liquid ingredients.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, add in the chocolate chips and gently mix together. The flour should be absorbed into the liquids and form a thick mixture but it doesn’t need to be smooth.
- Spoon batter into the muffin tins until they are mostly full. Bake at 350F for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the Center comes out clean.