Easy Homemade Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
You’ll love this homemade sugar free cranberry sauce! It’s easy to make with fresh cranberries, dates, an orange and a touch of honey. It’s tangy and delicious and so much better than store bought!
The best part is that it can be made in advance and frozen. Cranberry sauce without sugar is one of my favorite sides to make for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
If you’re looking for a sugar free keto cranberry sauce try this recipe. This recipe for sugar free sauce is gluten free, dairy free, and can be made vegan if you swap out the honey for maple syrup.
- Cranberries: Use whole fresh cranberries for best results but frozen works great to. Usually they start to be sold in October/November.
- Orange & Orange Zest: A medium or large sized seedless orange. It adds natural sugar and taste.
- Dates: I use whole medjool dates. Any type will work.
- Honey: Use your favourite kind or maple syrup to make it vegan.
- Water: The original water is just fine.
How to Make Cranberry Sauce Without Sugar
Grab your saucepan and hold onto your cranberries, because making a healthy sugar-free cranberry sauce is quite fun and simple.
Step 1: Blend Dates & Orange
- Peel the orange. Add water, dates and orange to a blender and blend until smooth.
Step 2: Cook Sauce
- Add cranberries and the date orange mixture to a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until cranberries start to burst.
Cranberry Sauce Thicken Without Sugar?
Yes. Cranberries contain lots of naturally occurring Pectin that releases as they cook. Which thickens your sauce naturally.
If you want a jellied cranberry sauce just add some gelatin to it.
How To Store
My favourite way to store it is in a glass mason jar in the fridge. You can also put it in a freezer bag or container and freeze it until you need it.
And I have actually canned it to keep in my pantry too!
Ways to Use Leftover Cranberry Sauce
- Tastes great served with chicken breast or even meatballs
- Eat it with your leftover Turkey sandwiches.
- Use as a dairy free ice cream topping.
- Or use it to make a simple cranberry syrup to make drinks with
- Freeze it to make muffins later.
- Cranberry Sauce is great added to a glaze or icing. It makes a beautiful pink colour and amazing taste.
Substitutions & Tips
- Cranberries: I like to buy my cranberries in advance and freeze them to use around holidays.
- Orange: Use lemon zest and add an apple in place of the orange to add sweeteness.
- Dates: Honey or maple syrup work for a natural sweetener. I would add about ¼-½ a cup. And taste to see if you need more.
Homemade Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- 2 ½ cups whole cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1 seedless orange peeled blended
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¾ cup whole dates 8-10 dates
- ¾ cup water
- 2 TBSP honey optional
- Place the dates, orange and water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium sized saucepan mix the cranberries, orange zest and date mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until cranberries have softened and start to burst. Make sure to watch it because it will froth and bubble a lot.
- Mash the cranberries with a potato masher until most are crushed. Mix in the honey.
- Remove from heat and store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.