Iced London Fog
I love a good Iced London Fog so this was the perfect drink to add my list of recipes. It tastes a lot like Iced Tea Latte from starbucks. The best part is, it’s simple to make dairy free and it still tastes amazing!
What is in an Iced London Fog Tea Latte?
An Iced London Fog is a tea latte made with earl grey tea with a hint of lavander steeped in hot water and poured over ice. The magic happens when the milk is added and the vanilla syrup.
Can I make it without vanilla syrup?
Yes, an iced london fog can be made without vanilla syrup. A good substitute is honey and some vanilla extract. Or you could use sugar and vanilla. Another option is that you can quickly make your own vanilla syrup by cooking together ½ cup of sugar and ½ cup of water and then adding 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt (this option is included in my recipe).
How do I make it?
In order to make this drink you will need an earl grey tea bag, lavender (optional), ice cubes, vanilla syrup or honey with vanilla extract, and some of your favorite type of milk!
- Steep the tea and lavender in hot water for five minutes. Then remove the tea bag and strain the tea if you used some loose lavendar in with your tea bag
- Add ice cubes to a large glass
- Add the syrup or sweetener and vanilla to the steeped tea
- Pour the tea over the ice
- You can froth your milk before adding it if you have a frother (optional)
- Pour your milk ove the tea and ice and stir to combine
How to make an Iced London Fog Dairy free
It’s simple enough to just choose your favorite unsweetened non-dairy milk for this recipe. My favorites are unsweetened oat milk or coconut. They both have a more creamy flavor then other dairy free/plant based milks. I’ve also tried macadamia nut milk and it was quite good for hot drinks. Almond or soy milk are not very fatty and therefore lack the rich creamy flavor most people think of when it comes to fancy drinks. Almond and soy will still be good just not as rich tasting.
What is in an Iced London Fog from Starbucks?
In a traditional Starbucks Iced London Fog Tea Latte, size grande (16oz, about 2 cups), there are 2 earl grey tea bags steeped in hot water and then poured over ice. Then they add some 2% milk. It contains 4 pumps of vanilla syrup. 1 pump of syrup is about ½ a TBSP or .5 oz.
A tall (12 oz, about 1.5 cups) is made with 1 earl grey tea bag steeped in hot water and made with 2% milk. And it has 3 pumps of vanilla syrup.
Iced London Fog (dairy free option)
- 1 earl grey tea bag
- 1/2 tsp dried lavendar optional
- ½ cup of boiling water
- 1 ½ cups ice cubes
- ¾ cup any kind of milk Starbucks uses %2 milk, I use unsweetened oat or coconut milk
- 1-2 TBSP vanilla syrup*
- Or use 1 TBSP honey or white sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla**
- Pour hot water into a glass cup, steep the tea bag and lavendar for 5 minutes.
- While the tea bag is steeping, pour about 1 ½ cups of ice cubes into a large glass and set aside.
- Remove the tea bag from the tea and strain out the lavendar. Then add in the vanilla syrup or honey with the vanilla extract to the tea. Mix to combine.
- Pour the tea over the ice. Then add in the ¾ cup of milk. Stir to combine and enjoy!
*Vanilla Syrup: To Make your own vanilla syrup, place ½ cup white sugar and ½ cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil and cook for about 4 minutes while it bubbles. Stir only a few times when the sugar starts to dissolve. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tsp vanilla. Store in a glass jar in the fridge. ** I find this option just as good. There really isn’t a need for the syrup when you use the honey and vanilla. It’s good to note that the 16 oz Starbucks version (grande) probably has more like 2 TBSP vanilla syrup (1 pump = ½ TBSP & they use 4 pumps). So if you want a more authentic home Starbucks drink add a bit more /syrup/sugar!
Dairy free Homemade Drinks
If you liked this than try some of my other dairy free homemade drinks. I love making them at home because it’s so expensive to go to a coffee shop all the time. I reserve that for a nice treat every so often. Currently I do not have an esspresso machine of even a milk frother. So I make everything with the basic things I’m sure you already have in your kitchen. If you like an Iced London Fog than you will also love my recipe for a hot London Fog Tea Latte that also tastes like it come from Starbucks. Or my Dairy Free Maple Latte made using strongly brewed coffee.