This dairy free chocolate sauce has been my snack for the last two weeks. It’s a recipe that turns out thick, rich and delectable. Perfect for topping ice cream and making some dairy free hot chocolate or chocolate milk.
Disclosure: All thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links at no extra cost to you. I may earn a small commission from products you purchase through those links! Learn more here.
ingredients used to make dairy free chocolate sauce
These are the ingredients you will need to make this dairy free chocolate sauce recipe:
- cocoa powder
- white sugar
- oat or coconut milk
- coconut cream (thick creamy portion from canned coconut milk or cream)
- coconut oil
You can use any type of plant milk you want. However I find that oat and coconut have the creamiest/fattiest taste of all the plant milks. So they tend to taste better in recipes that are supposed to be rich in flavour.
For the coconut cream you will need a can of full fat coconut milk or cream. I refrigerate my can of coconut milk before using. This makes it so the creamy portion is easy to separate from the liquid. I spoon out the thick creamy part from the top of the can and then I drain off the liquid portion into a cup. I either use it in smoothies or throw it out.
How to make Dairy free chocolate sauce
- Measure out ingredients
- Place in saucepan over low heat
- Cook and stir gently until it melts together and turns into a sauce
- Bring it to a boil and let it bubble for about 1 minute then remove it from the heat
Dairy Free Chocolate Sauce
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 TBSP oat or coconut milk*
- ¼ cup coconut cream** thick creamy portion from canned coconut milk or cream
- ⅛ cup coconut oil***
- In a small saucepan mix together the cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Add in the milk, coconut cream, and coconut oil. Place on the stove over low-medium heat. It will be a lumpy dry mixture at this point.
- As the sugar starts to melt it will combine with the other ingredients and form a sauce. While it’s cooking, stir it occasionally. Continue cooking until it forms a nice thick sauce and starts to boil. Let it boil for about 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Pour into a glass container and serve or store it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
How Do I Store Leftover Coconut Cream
I often use coconut cream in my recipes because it adds a richness of flavour. Which also means that I often have leftover portions of it. In order to store it for a longer period of time, I try my best to remove any of the liquid from the thick creamy portion. I have found that if I press the coconut cream into a glass container with an airtight lid, it lasts in the fridge for 2 weeks. It will start to form little grayish yellow spots where it is beginning to mould.
What do I serve my dairy free chocolate sauce with?
I’d imagine that if you’re looking at this recipe you already have a plan for it. However, just in case you need some ideas I’ll share my favorite ways to use it. It works great as a chocolate glaze for muffins or donuts. You can make a dairy free hot chocolate using oat milk. Or a nice glass of chocolate milk. It’s also perfect for topping your favorite dairy free ice cream!
How do I store my sauce?
Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. After it’s been in the fridge for a few days it will start to crystalize some. All you need to do is reheat it and give it a good stir and it will be right as rain. Or chocolate sauce.