Dairy Free Chocolate Sauce: Only 5 Ingredients
This dairy free chocolate sauce has been my snack for the last two weeks. It’s a gluten and dairy free chocolate sauce recipe that turns out thick and rich.
It’s perfect for making dairy free hot chocolate and mocha lattes.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links at no extra cost to you. I may earn a small commission from products you purchase through those links! Learn more here.
ingredients for dairy free chocolate syrup
These are the ingredients you will need to make this dairy free chocolate syrup:
- Cocoa Powder: I use Hershey’s cocoa powder and it gives a quality chocolate taste.
- White Sugar: Helps the chocolate come together. try substituting brown sugar or coconut sugar for a different taste.
- Salt: I use pink Himalayan salt. It brings out the other tastes within the chocolate sauce.
- Canned Coconut Cream or Milk: You will need some of the liquid milk and the thick creamy portion from canned coconut milk or coconut cream. This acts as a heavy cream renders a rich creamy taste.
- Coconut Oil: It’s a great healthy fat to use without addittives.
You can use any type of plant milk you want. However I find that oat and coconut have the creamiest/fattiest taste of all the vegan milks. So they tend to taste better in recipes that are supposed to be rich in flavour.
For the coconut cream you will need a can of full fat coconut milk or cream. I refrigerate my can of coconut milk before using. This makes it so the creamy portion is easy to separate from the liquid. I spoon out the thick creamy part from the top of the can and then I drain off the liquid portion into a cup. I like to use it in smoothies or muffins.
How to make Dairy free chocolate sauce
- Measure out ingredients
- Place in saucepan over low heat
- Cook and stir gently until it melts together and turns into a sauce
- Bring it to a boil and let it bubble for about 1 minute then remove it from the heat
- Pour into a glass jar and serve or store
Dairy Free Chocolate Sauce
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt, optional
- 3 TBSP Liquid portion from canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut cream** thick creamy portion from canned coconut milk
- 2 TBSP coconut oil***
- In a medium saucepan combine the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, coconut water, coconut cream and coconut oil. It will not mix well until it starts to melt together.Place on the stove over medium low heat. It will be a lumpy dry mixture at this point.
- As the ingredients melt they will start to form a sauce. Make sure to stir it occasionally. Continue cooking until it forms a nice thick sauce and starts to boil. Let it boil for about 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Pour into a glass container and serve or store it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
How Do I Store Leftover Coconut Cream
I often use coconut cream in my recipes because it adds a richness of flavour. Which also means that I often have leftover portions of it. In order to store it for a longer period of time, I try my best to remove any of the liquid from the thick creamy portion. I have found that if I press the coconut cream into a glass container with an airtight lid, it lasts in the fridge for 2 weeks.
What do I serve my dairy free chocolate sauce with?
I’d imagine that if you’re looking at this recipe you already have a plan for it. However, just in case you need some ideas I’ll share my favorite ways to use it. It works great as a chocolate glaze for muffins or donuts. You can make a dairy free hot chocolate using oat milk. Or a nice glass of chocolate milk. It’s also perfect for topping your favorite dairy free ice cream!
How do I store my sauce?
Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. After it’s been in the fridge it will start to crystalize some. All you need to do is reheat it and give it a good stir and it will be right as rain.