Recipe For Banana Oat Muffins
This perfect recipe for banana oat muffins is made with oat flour, are soft and flavourful.
Made with overripe bananas they have the perfect amount of sweetness. It’s easy to make them sugar free and with whole wheat flour for a healthy banana oat muffin.
I used to make this recipe with plain rolled oats. However, since I’ve discovered how to make oat flour I use it to make these muffins and the texture is much softer and more fluffy.
When I make these muffins I use a homemade oat flour. You can use store bought as well. But I simply throw some rolled oats into my blender and make some flour! For more instructions on how to do that and bake with oat flour click here.
How to Make Banana Oat Muffins
Muffins turn out best when you mix the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients together separately. And then gently fold them both together until just combined.
Step 1: In two separate bowls mix the together the dry and the liquid ingredients.
Step 2: Then pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and gently mix until all combined but not smooth looking.
Step 3: Spoon the batter into the muffin tin lined with cupcake papers. They should be just over 3/4 of the way full. I like to use a 1/2 cup, measuring cup for this and overfill it, or a large ice cream scoop works great.
Step 4: Bake at 350F for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The muffins should spring back after you touch them and be slightly browned when done.
Banana Oat Muffins
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Muffin tin
Mix dry ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups white flour or whole wheat*
- 1 cup oat flour** or regular rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Mix liquid ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup oat or almond milk sub any milk
- 2 overripe bananas mashed about one cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the liquid ingredients.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and fold together to combine. There may still be little spots of flour in some places and that is good because you want it a bit lumpy looking. You don’t want to over mix them.
- Spoon into paper lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 F for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The tops of the muffins will spring back up when touched.
Banana Oat muffins have many wonderful health qualities. According to Medical News Today, “Bananas are one of the most popular fruits worldwide. They contain essential nutrients that can have a protective impact on health.”
- Help to lower blood pressure and may reduce risk of cancer
- Carry fiber and vitamin C
- Contain antioxidants and are high in potassium
Recipes Made With Oats
For instructions on how to make your own oat flour check out this post.
Try out these recipes that use oat flour:
- dairy free apple crisp (gluten free, coconut oil)
- dairy free blueberry muffins
Can I make Banana muffins without sugar?
Yes you can make these muffins without sugar. These banana oat muffins can be made with honey or maple syrup as a substitute for the sugar. Most banana recipes that call for sugar can be made with honey, maple syrup or homemade date puree as a substitute. If you use maple syrup I would cut down the amount of milk you use by a tablespoon.
Homemade Date Sugar Substitute
Another option I use to make these muffins completely sugar free is a date replacement. Add ⅓ cup of chopped dates to a small saucepan and cook them in a ¼ cup of coconut milk. Let them simmer for about 5-7 minutes. After cooking and they have softened, mash them well with a potato masher or a fork. Then use them to replace the sugar in this recipe.
How to Store Banana Muffins
Banana oat muffins can be stored on the counter for up to 3 days, on the counter in an airtight container or ziplock bag. Or if I want them them to last longer I store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. To warm them up place them in the microwave for 15-30 seconds before eating.
Can I freeze Banana Oat Muffins?
Yes you can freeze banana oat muffins. Make sure they are in an airtight freezer container or freezer bag. Just reheat them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds or let them sit out on the counter for 15-20 minutes. Sometimes I also like to reheat them in the oven by turning the oven on to 300, and then heat them for 8-10 minutes. They last in the freezer for up to 2 months. Still, if I freeze them, I generally try to use them up before a month goes by to make sure they are fresh.
Other Recipes To Try
Chai Tea Latte Starbucks Recipe (Tazo Dairy Free Option)